Friday, October 1, 2010

Creating Me

Talking to others in the entertainment industry one piece of advice keeps circulating: I need to market. This brings to mind a crowded plaza in Marrakesh filled with swarthy robed and turbaned folk haggling over prices while I stand uncomfortably on the auction block, turning this way and that to display my naked flesh. A juicy apple may rest in my mouth for garnish.

Perhaps in this modern age marketing isn't so barbaric, but it still makes me uncomfortable. My writing is fantasy, it is the creation of new and unique characters and worlds, but marketing is revealing myself. I am the product, not my story. One level of separation has been erased and I am exposed to direct scrutiny.

Like my tweets? Buy a story. Like my blog? become my devoted follower. I do it all. Slowly I feel myself stretching across the Internet like a literary spider, connecting published stories to poems, to tweets, to facebook to blog. Piece by piece this web that I am creating is molding a public image of 'me.' I hope this golem doesn't come back to haunt me. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow... That was extremely insightful! I completely agree. While I might be a little more outgoing, I'm still extremely uncomfortable with the "let's catch up" or "what are you up to?" or "tell me about yourself" because it does feel like I'm in a comercial for the Leslie incorporated! And not just any comercial. The really unformfortable ones, Like hemroid cream or douche! I do love connecting with people on a personal level. I value myself as a good friend, a fun person to be around and someone with a great personality. By me not being able to "market myself", does that mean I don't believe in myself professionally? That's a question I'm still trying to answer. Sorry my comment is more of a blog within a blog. Bottom line is, I feel ya, Girl!

    ReplyDelete