Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A chapter down... so much more to go

Have you ever had a project that made you feel like the donkey and the carrot? For every step I take forward the carrot takes one away from me. That's how I've begun to think of my first novel. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE it! It is my baby, crafted with much love and consideration. It is my creation as personal to me as my much adored 3rd grade volcano science fair project.

So why the angst? It is taking forever! While my screenplay is safe in the arms of my agent and being shuffled around to various movie studios, I decided to take this time and really get to work on my novel -a labor of love has never been so bittersweet. I think it is my nature to covet and curse something so ardently in the same breath. Oh words! How you torment and soothe me!

Ok, enough melodrama. The novel is going really well. It think another 50 pages should do it. Sadly, I cut away much unnecessary fluff during the last edit and now need to add more "good stuff." That means more drama, more death and hot, steamy, make-you-blush-in-the-bookstore romance. I can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. I remember that damn volcano! It was like the third sibling in our household. It just wouldn't go away!
    Anyway, try to focus on the process, not the goal, and enjoy it! Easier said than done, but that's what successful people do! As Mom used to say, "If it was easy, everyone would be doing it and they would all be successful!"

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete